The hill of seven colors; known as Rainbow Mountain and seven colors mountain have the most impressive sceneries in the region of Cusco, the multi colors of the hill is natural formation in which the ground shows seven different tonalities of colors because the existence of different minerals sediment. This colorful hill is situated at the foot of Ausangate Snowy Mountain 6372meters above sea level (20900 ft) in Quispicanchis province.
DAY 01: CUSCO – PITUMARCA – VINICUNCA
Very early pick up from your hotel (03:30 a.m.) to drive on asphalted road till Pitumarca town 3750 meters above sea level (12300 ft) for around three hours to ride then over off road toward the base camp of Chillca 4200 meters above sea level (13780 ft), it for one hour. The driving allows for gorgeous widespread views, breakfast will be served before start the hiking. To reach the seven colors hill, we start the hiking from Chillca community where you will have the alternative to ride a horse instead the walking. After two hours intense hiking on well preserved and signed path we will reach Vinicunca mountain 5100 meters above sea level (16730 ft) where is located the mountain of seven colors or rainbow mountain, where is common to appreciate the flight of condors, Along the trekking route we also appreciate houses of adobe with small corrals, the scanty vegetation and the Alpacas and sheep’s grazing around. After to enjoy the view of all around we will descend again to Chillca community to have lunch and ride back to Cusco city, ending it at around 04 o’clock.
Important: Horse is an option for all those who have trouble with altitude sickness.
Minimum height: 3750 m.a.s.l (12300 ft)
Maximum altitude: 5100 m.a.s.l (16730 ft)
Estimated distance: 12 km (07 miles)
Estimated walking time: 04 hours approximately
- Hotels pick up and private transport to the starting point of the trekking (Vinicunca) (round trip).
- Hill of seven colors entrance fees.
- Professional English speaking tour guide.
- Meals (01 breakfast, 01 lunche) vegetarian option is provided in a previous booking.
- First aid kit and oxygen bottle.
- Dinner at the ending of tour..
- Tips for the crew (guide, cook and porters or horseman).
- Personal medical kit.
- Extra Horse US$ 30.
WHAT TO TAKE
- Original Passport
- Student card (ISIC Card if you are student)
- A backpack (for daily and personal items)
- Warm clothes (nights are cold)
- First aid kit
- camell back or water bottle.
- Rain jacket and poncho (rains even on dry season).
- Trekking shoes
- Binoculars for bird watching
- Insect Repellent and sun block.
- Hat, gloves, scarf, wool socks, sandals.
- Cash to tip the crew and buy drinks and snacks. (Peruvian currency)