MORAY & SALT PONDS TREK
This tour combines the cultural experiences of the peoples of the sacred valley and textiles, and community exploitation of the salt mines, archaeological sites and cultural landscapes. Through tourist transport and short walks allow visitors to appreciate the sacred valley, the landscapes of the chain of snowy mountains as veronica, Chicon among others.
CUSCO – CHINCHERO – MORAY – SALT PONDS OF MARAS
Pick up from your hotel to ride to the amazing typical town of Chinchero 3750 meters above sea level (12300 ft) where the families are still keeping the traditional way and mores of weaving and local weavers will be willing to teach you the traditional mores, skills and the system of textiles industry then we will reach the archeological site of Moray 3500 meters above sea level (11480 ft) where we start the hiking around the circular terraces. The purpose and function of those terraces served as an agricultural laboratory used by the Incas. Afterward you will enjoy a picnic lunch. Then we continue walking down to the salt evaporation ponds 3200 meters above sea level (10500 ft), located in Maras town, salt has been obtained since pre-Incas time till now a day it is obtained by evaporating salty water from a local subterranean stream. The highly salty water emerges at a spring, a natural outlet of the underground stream. The flow is directed into an intricate system of tiny channels constructed so that the water runs gradually down onto the several hundred ancient terraced ponds. Then we will ride back to Cusco city.
Minimum height: 3200 m.a.s.l (10500 ft)
Maximum altitude: 3500 m.a.s.l 11480 ft)
Estimated distance: 13 km (08 miles)
Estimated walking time: 04 hours approximately
- Hotels pick up and private transport to the starting point of the trekking (Moray) (round trip).
- Moray and Maras Salt ponds entrance fees.
- Professional English speaking tour guide.
- Dinning and kitchen tents, table and chairs.
- Cooking equipment.
- Cook and Meals (01 lunch) vegetarian option is provided in a previous booking.
- First aid kit and oxygen bottle.
- Breakfast on the first morning and dinner.
- Tips for the crew (guide, cook and driver).
- Personal medical kit.
WHAT TO TAKE
- Original Passport
- Student card (ISIC Card if you are student)
- A backpack (for daily and personal items)
- Warm clothes (nights are cold)
- First aid kit
- camell back or water bottle.
- Rain jacket and poncho (rains even on dry season).
- Short pants for confortable walking.
- Trekking shoes
- Binoculars for bird watching
- Insect Repellent and sun block.
- Personal toilet items (towel, toilet paper, tooth brush, tooth paste, soap, etc.)
- Hat, gloves, scarf, wool socks, sandals.
- Cash to tip the crew and buy drinks and snacks. (Peruvian currency)